Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 01:01:45 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (man page || manpage) => manual page

On 2002-05-29 17:57 -0400, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> On Thu, 30 May 2002 00:47:47 +0300
> Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> > When &man.xxx.y; references are being made I prefer the style that
> > Jeroen suggested to me a long time ago.  Instead of writing:
> >
> > 	"see the foo(n) manpage"
> >
> > You can simply use "see foo(n)", since it should be apparent that this
> > is a reference to a manual page.  Repeating in every such place that
> > it "is a manual page" is a bit of an overkill.
>
> My point here was NOT to reword things, so that we may be nicer to
> the translators...  And then reword them later, but try to get
> all instances at the same time...  I feel smacking them all right
> now would be best, and then perhaps reword things later.

The translators are going to change the translation to get rid of the
``manpage'' or ``man page'' stuff anyway.  I don't really feel like
supporting either one-step or two-step changes.  You can do whatever
you feel more comfortable with, or perhaps wait for someone else to
comment on that too :)

- Giorgos