Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 1996 09:53:58 +0100
From:      "mfrissen" <mfrissen@worldaccess.nl>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PPP probs

Allright, brace yourselves....

I wanted to configure PPP on my FreeBSD 2.1.5 and did the following:

- I took out the handbook (400 pages!)
- I configured my Philips 28k8 internal modem as it should be (chapter 11)
- I went to chapter 12, configuring user PPP, using tun.
- I added the file /etc/resolv.conf, which looks much like:
	nameserver 194.178.56.21

  which is my ISP DNS server.
- Then I went to host.conf, which had the lines:
	bind
	hosts

  so it looks for the bindings first, then in hosts...
- I didn't change my hosts file, only the
	127.0.0.1	localhost localhost.my.domain
  was in there, the rest was only commented.
  I thought, well, if it gets it from the bindings, who cares?? So I didnt
put anything in
  it.
- Then I moved the original ppp directory to ppp.orig (like it says in the
handbook)
  and followed the steps in the handbook.

Now you have to know that my ISP gives me a dynamically assigned IP addie,
so I changed the line in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf:
	set ifaddr 0 0

What should I put in /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup???
I kept it like the example file which was the original ppp.linkup
Maybe I should change something to that??
It looks like this:
	<comments>
	iij-demand:
	 delete ALL
	 add 0 0 HISADDR
	<comments>
	MYADDR:
	 add 0 0 HISADDR

thats it!

- Now I go to the really scarey stuff: /etc/sysconfig
  Since my ISP is Worldaccess, with domain name worldaccess.nl, I put
	hostname=worldaccess.nl in my sysconfig.
  (I have a strange feeling this is completely wrong: domainname ==
hostname??)

  Then I put:
	network_interfaces="lo0 tun0"
  in.... which should be okay, I have /dev/tun0 and I configured my kernel
for tun.

  then I went:
	ifconfig_tun0="inet worldaccess.nl 194.178.56.21 netmask 0xffffff00"

  the netmask is OK: 255.255.255.0
  but about the DNS IP addie I am not sure.... in the book it says:
	y.y.y.y is the IP addie of your ISP's gateway
  Is that the same as the DNS server??

  the I put the routedflags=-s .... (shouldn't that be routedflags="-s" ?)
  and last I did was sendmail_flags="-bd"

So I rebooted (well, my computer, not myself :-))
and I saw the following:

	<lots of general stuff here>
	lo0: flags = 8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
		inet 127.0.0.1	netmask 0xff000000
	ifconfig: worldaccess.nl: bad value
	tun0: flags = 8010 <POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	<some other general stuff>

What is the ifconfig: bad value thing??
( I think it is because domainname != hostname ??)
I dont see my 194.178.56.21 here...

The following data was provided to me from my ISP:
IP-addressing: dynamic
DNS server: 194.178.56.21
SMTP server: smtp.worldaccess.nl
POP server: pop3.worldaccess.nl
Name server: 194.178.56.21 (hey isnt this the same as DNS server?)
Newsserver: news.worldaccess.nl
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Domain: worldaccess.nl

now the inlogprocedure is something like:

login: mfrissen
password: <wouldnt you like to know :-) >
1 Start SLIP
2 ASCII access
4 Start PPP
9 Exit

... normally I choose 4 (well, my (yuck) windows95 script does)
... I cant use SLIP, that is only for business access (with your own IP
addie)

I think you know enough now (I hope)...

Please, help me with this.... I've been working on this for 3 weeks now,
and I don't have any Internet access at home until I configure FreeBSD
right.
(I am dialling out at work, with win95 to worldaccess)

Oh, just one other tiny thing:
If I start some X applications (like erm, xeyes or whatever), ld.so
complains about:
libXsomething.a.so.6.0 (or something) minor version 0 is older that the 1
expected...

the application runs, but it's pretty annoying...

What do I have to do to get rid of that?
(ldconfig /usr/lib /usr/X11R6/lib etc... didnt help)

Sorry for the long (maybe boring) and technical message,

but I really wanted to provide all the necessary info....

Thanks,

Marco Frissen
home: mfrissen@worldaccess.nl
work:  mfr@dasc.nl