Date:      Sun, 25 May 2008 23:29:03 GMT
From:      Ben Morris <ben@wordmatter.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/123990: BTX halted on Thinkpad x60s

>Number:         123990
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       BTX halted on Thinkpad x60s
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
BTX halts and dumps registers on this laptop, so install from the release boot ISO is not possible.

I have looping symptons as defect 115854.

Cf also all the other defects found from a "BTX halted " search.

Versions of this problem seem to go back to at least 4.x releases. So far as I can see they have not been resolved (possibly not even investigated?).

I have tried fiddling with the BIOS setup but nothing has worked yet.
>How-To-Repeat:
Reproduced trying to boot from USB CDROM with 7.0 ISO boot CD. The boot CD is fine, Compaq NC4000 has no problems booting from it.

Same defect with 6.1 and 6.2 floppy boot disks. These disks are fine too, I've been using them for years (!) on other machines, and verified they are okay on the Compaq NC4000.

 I've tried USB floppy (for 6.1 and 6.2, I've used these floppies from a USB FDD with no problems on multiple other machines including IBM laptops, just tested again and they are fine), and USB CD from the "boot only" ISO image, works fine on XXX.

The laptop is fine, the external drives are fine. E.g. I've just booted an old MS-DOS 6.20 from floppy, have been running the installed Win XP fine from hard drive. The images are fine, checked on other laptops.

Trawling the forums I see BTX halted problems going back to 4.x and wonder have they ever been resolved?