Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 12:12:58 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        ptiJo <ptiJo@noos.fr>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, marcel@xcllnt.net, des@ofug.org
Subject:   Re: Possible bug in 4.5-RC1 vs VMware (linux emulation?)

>Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu> wrote:
>
>  > I upgraded to 4.5-RC1 as it was on Wednesday (Jan 9th) at about 7pm.
>>  I then upgraded most (but not quite all) of my ports.  On Thursday
>>  I needed to run VMware2 to debug some obscure problem I am seeing
>>  elsewhere (something not related to freebsd at all).
>>
>>  The possible-bug part is that I get an error message when starting
>>  up vmware, saying "VMware was unable to read from /dev/acd0c.  This
>>  can be caused by a Linux kernel bug...".  It is saying "Linux kernel"
>>  because this is the Linux version of VMware2, which I am running via
>>  Linux emulation on freebsd.  So, it thinks the host OS is linux.  In
>  > any case, I wasn't getting this error until after those upgrades.

Sigh.  Well, sometime after I wrote the above message, I wrote another
saying that I had upgraded and the problem was gone.  I had even *read*
cd's under two different virtual-system OS's without any trouble.  So, I
assumed that it had been fixed sometime after 4.5-RC2, but now the warning
is back -- and I am not sure what I did to change things...

So, I probably have to pin this down some more before claiming it is
really solved.  It is not much of a problem for my use, but it's just a
little annoying (particularly since I don't know why it comes and goes).