Date:      Mon, 02 Mar 1998 02:58:26 EST
From:      "Chris Day" <the_reman@hotmail.com>
To:        l.rizzo@iet.unipi.it
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, the_reman@hotmail.com

Luigi (and others),

I have a tiny problem getting my soundcard to work under FreeBSD.  Yes,
it is the infamous OPTi 82C931.  I actually have a proper OPTi
soundcard, so I thought, stupidly, that it might be easy to get it to
work.

Anyway, I installed pnp971020.tgz source patched the files, then
installed the snd980215.tgz source and patched the files.  Then I
included various bits, compiled, then no matter what I tried it didn't
work.

This is sound part of my kernel config file - GENERIC
>controller	pnp0
>device		pcm0 at isa? port 0x530 tty irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x10 >vector
pcmintr
>device		pcm1 at isa? port 0x220 tty irq 5 drq 1 vector pcmintr

The reason I put in two pcm devices was just in case it detected and
attached the OPTi in MSS or SB Pro mode.

I was hacking the kernel to see if I could get the sound card operating,
but it wasn't until I found out that it had to be configured with the
PnP registers that I realized that I couldn't do it via the non-PnP
drivers within the original /sys/i386/isa/snd directory.

Finally the last thing I did was go into the config and enter this PnP
line.

>OPTi931: PnP id 0x3109143e
>
>	http://www.opti.com/  opti931_21.pdf
>
>    pnp 1 1 os enable port0 0x534 port2 0x220 port3 0xe0d irq0 10 >drq0
1 drq1 6

After I entered this it still didn't work.  Something funny I noted was
that if you went into DOS and loaded the driver, the card still didn't
get detected by the PnP auto-detect but was still getting attached to
the pcm0 device at 0x220,5,1.  But, when this happened I couldn't get
any audio. (Even if I changed all /dev's to snd1)

If I reinstall all the sources and add an sb0 device et al in as normal,
I can do the boot up in DOS get the OPTi initialized then reboot into
FreeBSD and getting it working okay.  Should I stick to this?  Finally,
is the files I have for pnp???.tgz and snd???.tgz the most up to date?

Some things you might want to know. I have -
486 dx2 80
FreeBSD 2.2.5/Current
Non-PnP motherboard

I think thats about all you need.  If you were able to get it working
under these conditions could you send me a copy of the config file as
well as any modifications to the code.

Just in case you need it here's a copy of the relevant dmesg output.

>FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE #0: Mon Mar  2 01:51:19 EST 1998
>    root@reman.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC
>Calibrating clock(s) ... i8254 clock: 1193666 Hz
>CLK_USE_I8254_CALIBRATION not specified - using default frequency
>CPU: i486 DX2 (486-class CPU)
>  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x435  Stepping=5
>  Features=0x3<FPU,VME>
>real memory  = 25165824 (24576K bytes)
>config
> ls
>Device   port       irq   drq   iomem   iosize   unit  flags  enabled
>pcm0     0x530      10    1     0x0     0        0     0x10       Yes
>pcm1     0x220      5     1     0x0     0        1     0x0        Yes
>CSN LDN conf en irqs  drqs others (PnP devices)
>  1   1 OS    Y 10 0   1 6  port 0x534 0x0 0x220 0xe0d
>config
>quit
>avail memory = 22503424 (21976K bytes)
>Probing for PnP devices: