Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2002 21:37:32 -0500
From:      "Peter C. Lai" <sirmoo@cowbert.2y.net>
To:        Ralph Huntington <rjh@mohawk.net>
Cc:        Matt Piechota <piechota@argolis.org>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Couple of concerns with default rc.firewall

As another note, rc.firewall presents several preset options for
your firewall, that of OPEN, CLIENT, or SIMPLE.
I use a version of simple that allows more stuff through.
I forgot about icmp until i realized i couldn't ping my box
and some script which depended on the response time broke.
I think allowing ICMP ought to be in either CLIENT or SIMPLE.

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 09:00:22PM -0500, Ralph Huntington wrote:
> > I think the question is did the FreeBSD team intentionally (for the
> > reasons of security) make the default install non-compliant with some
> > RFCs (read: broken), or was it just not thought of?  And second,
> > should this be changed?  I don't think the original poster was
> > suggesting that deny ip from any to any shouldn't block anything, just
> > asking should there be a rule in rc.firewall in the default install to
> > allow ICMP so the machine is well behaved.
>
> Thank you.

Peter C. Lai
University of Connecticut
Dept. of Residential Life | Programmer
Dept. of Molecular and Cell Biology | Undergraduate Research Assistant
http://cowbert.2y.net/
860.427.4542 (Room)
860.486.1899 (Lab)
203.206.3784 (Cellphone)