Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 1999 11:30:30 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Vadim Chekan <vadim@gc.lviv.ua>
Cc:        "stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Resolver in FreeBSD-3.[12] is broken?

At 06:47 PM 10/14/99 +0200, Vadim Chekan wrote:
>Tom wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Vadim Chekan wrote:
>> > From FreeBSD-3.2 (I checked this on 4 machines)
>> > =========================================================
>> > bash-2.03$ host 212.109.34.132
>> > 132.34.109.212.IN-ADDR.ARPA is a nickname for
>> > 132.34.109.212.cscd.lviv.ua
>>
>>   IN-ADDR DNS for that block is definitely screwed up, because I can't
>> even get an answer from here.
>
>What do you mean? "host 212.109.34.132" doesn't do any output for you?

"Host not found" or "Operation timed out" depending on what tool is used.

>>   Also, "host" in 3.2 can find CNAMEs, so it does not follow the CNAME.  I
>> think it does an ANY search.
>>   In this case, the "CNAME" has been followed.  Probably because "host"
>> did a PTR search instead of any ANY search.
>>
>>   Whether "host" follows the CNAME or not is irrelevant.  gethostbyname()
>> should still do the right thing.

Yep.

>So this is just strange behavior of 'host'?
>If I understund right this is rather bind issue, not FreeBSD so that
>I'll move to more appropriate maillist :)

Repeatable with dig and nslookup as well.  Using 'host' should work, so
most likely something is wrong the configuration.  Using 'dig' didn't turn
up any authoratative servers, which is a big hint.

FYI, something changed since a response is now given.  Still doesn't look
right.  Why it gives a "nickname for" rather than a "domain name pointer"
might be a clue.

ALWAYS do some checking externally from both your network and your upstream
provider(s).

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve