Date:      Mon, 04 Feb 2002 04:46:09 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        daverk@epix.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrading 4.4 to 4.5?

Dave Kaufman wrote:

> On Monday 04 February 2002 05:56 am, you wrote:
>
>>Bsd Neophyte wrote:
>>
>>>Is it possible to do an upgrade w/o doing a reinstall?
>>>
>>>Would I simply update my ports and then do a "make install"... or is
>>>there another way?
>>>
>>>OR... if someone can point me to a URL that gives the step-by-step
>>>instructions... that would also help.
>>>
>>The ports and the OS version aren't coupled. That is why you cvsup
>>"tag=." for the ports. The instructions for upgrading FreeBSD from 4.4
>>
>> > 4.5 are already on your system. You will find them around line
>>
>>349+/- in /usr/src/UPDATING.
>>
>>Kent
>>

> i don't find UPDATING in /usr/src/ all i find are crypto, kerberos5,
> kerberosIV, secure and sys. did i not install something?

You have to install the sources before you can upgrade to something.
When you installed, you didn't choose to do that. That is how UPDATING
gets added to your /usr/src directory. There is some stuff in the
Handbook about setting up your install. I was looking at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install.html

You have to add the source for the system and the kernel before you
can upgrade. This all goes into /usr/src. There were some tutorials
for newbies but they have been rearranging the setup and I don't have
any idea where they were moved to. You also need to specialize your
kernel as a final step. The question is which small step you want to
take first. Based on what you have said, you have some reading and
downloading to do first.

You can cvsup and add everything but if you have a CD with the sources
on it, you can add your current version from the CD. It is much faster
to upgrade that with cvsup than it is to install the source with
cvsup. If your connection to the Internet was a T1, it wouldn't
matter. Since you are on 4.4, I would expect that you only have a
version of cvsup-16.1 available that has the 9 Sep 2001 bug in it. You
need at least 16.1e for starters. Version 16.1d doesn't have the bug
but 16.1e will not let you connect to a server running a buggy
version. I don't know of any but I wouldn't start out taking a chance.
I think a more recent version will be on the 4.5 CD. You can download
a copy of it from http://people.freebsd.org/~jdp/s1g/ and

pkg_add cvsup-16.1e.tgz

There are mirrors out there that have the 4.5-iso on it. An binary
upgrade using that for the source is the easiest. I started
downloading it today and filled up root. It was telling me the
download time was 3 hrs. I did it with a modem about 1.5 years back
and I believe it was a 40 hour download. A T1 would be less than an
hour to download a 650 MB CDROM image file.

It won't be too long until the sun comes up and by then I will have
shutdown. Good luck on the upgrade. It isn't difficult. You just have
to be methodical and follow a cook book. A discusion of some of this
is available on http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/. I have a
system upgrade down to running 5 really simple shell scripts. So, it
can't be very complicated. Running mergemaster is where you can shoot
yourself in the foot. When it comes time to be safe, everybody
recursively copies /etc into a /etc.bak or some name you can remember.
Recovering is easier that way :). I have 3 or 4 different setups and I
will screw one of them up in the time frame of 6-12 months. I have
copies on the other machines and don't always do the backup.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA