Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 2002 12:14:47 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Soeren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org, sos@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More on Dell 600SC server

At 11:49 AM 12/26/2002, Soeren Schmidt wrote:

>dmesg ?

I don't have all of it, but I do have a relevant excerpt.
When you try to boot with two drives on the primary cable,
you see the following:

ad0: <WDC WD 200BB-18DEA0/05.03ED05> ATA-5 disk at ata0-master
ad0: 19073 MB (39062500 sectors), 38752 C, 16 H, 63 S, 512 B
ad0: 16 secs/int, 1 depth queue, BIOSDMA
ad0: piomode=4 dmamode=2 udmamode-5 cblid=1
ad1: scuuess setting WDMA2 on generic chip
Creating DISK ad1
ad1: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
ata0: resetting devices ..

and then nothing. The machine hangs. With one drive on the
cable, it's OK. Both drives are WD drives, jumpered to "auto."

>what chipset is in there ? my guess is a newer ServerWorks
>as they have a third interface onchip IIRC.

Yes, I believe it's a ServerWorks chipset.

>If they are that inexpensive ship me one and I'll make it work :)

They start at $600 US, which is inexpensive for a server with
ECC RAM, etc. Trouble is, we have to put this one into service.
Do you have a way of getting a look at one? Or if I gave you an
account on one, could you snoop around from a distance?

--Brett