Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 13:43:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Douglas Ambrisko <ambrisko@tcs.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: COMCONSOLE: a patch and a problem

J Wunsch writes:

| As Bruce Evans wrote:
|
| > >Hmm, there was a saying the running getty on /dev/console used to be
| > >totally broken.  Bruce?  Ever tried it lately?
| >
| > Not lately.  I use syscons, which still has the hack of using a special
| > minor device for the console so that /dev/console is a little different
| > from /dev/vt0.  I think there is nothing special for pcvt, so /dev/vt0
| > is the console.
|
| ...and i've been one of the guys who never had problems in running a
| getty on /dev/console.  Though you've once convinced me that it was
| broken for pcvt, too (i only didn't really notice).  I've never looked
| again into this.
|
| I know of some commercial (non-PC) systems that have a getty running
| on /dev/console.

I second this in that I've seen this on other work-stations as well.  It is
cute to see getty in your xconsole window.  Also I've been using syscons
and not pcvt so I should take a look at that but so far I haven't experienced
a problem with syscon.  I'll also take a look at syscons and see why it should
be different.

I'll try to put my patches together this weekend, I'm pretty tied up this
week.  I also want to take a look at the kernel to see if I can save
the last boot mode.  This way you can boot -h to get the serial port and -g
to get the graphics console and the kernel would remember that for the
next boot.

So far no one has objected about the potential modem problem so that sounds
good.

Doug A.