Date:      Sat, 03 Jan 2015 14:19:24 +0000
From:      Paul Thornton <prt@prt.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Issue with forwarding when creates new interface [was USB Tethering and forwarding]

Hi,

I can also replicate this behaviour on 10.1-RELEASE by simply creating
an additional vlan interface.  It affects IPv4 and IPv6 forwarding.

This is taken from a test setup of FreeBSD boxes running Quagga as BGP
routers - but with a default GENERIC kernel.  This machine has 2x ixgbe,
4x igb and 2x bce physical interfaces, with a cloned lo1 and vlan0.

[root@test1 ~]# uname -a
FreeBSD test1.prtsystems.ltd.uk 10.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE #0
r274401: Tue Nov 11 21:02:49 UTC 2014
root@releng1.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

[root@test1 ~]# sysctl -a | grep forwarding
net.inet.ip.forwarding: 1
net.inet.ip.fastforwarding: 1
net.inet6.ip6.forwarding: 1

[root@test1 ~]# ifconfig vlan1 create

[root@test1 ~]# sysctl -a | grep forwarding
net.inet.ip.forwarding: 0
net.inet.ip.fastforwarding: 1
net.inet6.ip6.forwarding: 0

I haven't tried using 10.0 as a router, so don't know if this crept in
between 10.0 and 10.1 or 9 and 10.

Paul.