Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:40:54 -0700
From:      Chris Wasser <cwasser@v-wave.com>
To:        FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: devfs in -stable

On Wed 31 Jan 2001, Andrew Hesford wrote:
> Of course you're missing something. If you mount it on /devs, it won't
> mount on /dev... You need to specify a mountpoint of /dev if you're
> confident it will work.

Yes, I realize this.

As I stated, the manpage says the default mountpoint for devfs is /devs
(thus why I made an fstab entry for it), which I later read from the
archived mailing list posts was not required, init will mount devfs on
it's own (which it does) and thus removed the /etc/fstab directory,
leaving me with devfs mounting to "dummy_mount" and my original /dev
remaining intact (ie: devfs does not mount in it's place)

What I'm not clear on is why it doesn't mount to /dev (as I read in the
archived posts) and whats up with the dummy_mount mountpoint.

I fully realize I can easily tell it to mount to /dev, but from what I
read, I don't need to, init will automatically mount it to /dev for me
(or so I've read so far, there isn't much current information in the
archived posts on devfs pretaining to this -- all the information I did
find states devfs will mount to /dev on it's own, if enabled) and I can
go about my merry way.

- Chris