Date:      Fri, 08 Dec 2000 02:43:28 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>
Cc:        Tomi Vainio - Sun Finland - <Tomi.Vainio@Sun.COM>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ffs_valloc: dup alloc panics with stable/current

> On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 03:44:28AM +0200, Tomi Vainio - Sun Finland - wrote:
>
>  > sense = 3 asc = 11 asq = 0
>  > This is not so bad but 5-30 minutes after this command system will
>  > always panic.
>
> Are you surprised?  The system is complaining that it's having intermittent
> difficulty accessing the disk, so it shouldn't be at all surprising that
> you'd have disk corruption problems as a result.

Actually, it's upstream from the RAID controller.  There don't appear to
be any actual complaints from the controller about read errors, so I'm a
little skeptical that this is actually the "real" problem.

> Start by checking your SCSI cabling and termination.  Almost all SCSI
> problems boil down to that eventually.

The entire system; disks, controller, etc. is all pretty skanky by the
sound of it.  It wouldn't surprise me too much if the system is suffering
eg. multiple-master data corruption, or straight out memory/cache errors.