Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 22:59:14 +0100
From:      Martin Welk <mw@theatre.sax.de>
To:        Maxim?? <max-2000@mail.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: About routing withaut static IP.

On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 11:44:00AM +0300, Maxim?? wrote:

> I have my inside network and host with FreeBSD 3.2. I want to route packet
> from inside network to outside and back, but I have dynamic IP from
> provider. What program may I use to route or what I put in nutd?

You need to set up natd and the ipfirewall code, and an interface based
routing entry. For a start, look into the man pages for natd(4), ipfw(4),
ipfirewall(4), divert(4) and dummynet(4) - you don't really need what's
described within the last one, but it gives some interesting further
information.

The most important things:

- build a custom kernel with IPFIREWALL and IPDIVERT
- configure firewall for passing packets to natd
- configure natd to listen on your outgoing interface (by interface name,
  not the address) and give it the ``dynamic'' option - so it looks for
  you if the address changes
- configure the default route - something like
  ``route add default -interface <insert-outgoing-interface-here>''

Regards,

Martin
--
 /| /|        | /| /            ,,You know, there's a lot of opportunities,
/ |/ | artin  |/ |/ elk                     if you're knowing to take them,