Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2006 01:01:20 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, Bob Walker <rww@safllc.com>
Subject:   Re: Newbie Experience

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 05:32:40 -0400
Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com> wrote:

> We are a community.  We're not Microsoft.  We're not interested in
> driving users away by saying "here's everything you need, don't bother
> us again."  Our limited resources are focused on developing the really
> important parts of the system.  While few would complain if the
> install process were made easier, nobody has the time to work on it.
> Become part of the community and ask questions when you have trouble.
> Find a local user's group.  But please, please don't complain about the
> OS not working right when you use it wrong.  The FreeBSD community is
> an integral part of the OS.  Not making use of the FreeBSD community
> and then complaining that the OS is difficult to use would be like not
> using a mouse then complaining that MS Windows is hard to use.

nicely put Bill :)

I would add, spend some time each day reading the mailing lists and help where
you can, and ask where you can't :)

in light of that... i've read about at least 1 project to improve on our
installer (SOC 2005) - is that already in place in Fbsd 6? (dont think
so...seems pretty similar to the old one to me...)

Any other related projects to improve the installer? I *KNOW* it isn't the most
important part of the system, but every bit counts, and I think that having
both a ncurses and a GUI (non-ncurses ;) )based installer would be quite nice
and modern. And I'd be definitely happy to help where I can. PC-BSD has one,
right?

anyway...just looking for pointers atm...

thanks everyone!

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

What you are afraid to do is a clear indicator of the next thing you need to do.

Warned.