Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 2003 18:09:06 +0200
From:      "Kjell Midtseter" <junkmail@sensewave.com>
To:        marlon corleone <mmp6107625@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cant power off, using shutdown -p now

On 21 Jul 2003, at 7:48, marlon corleone wrote:

> im running 5.1-RELEASE, my problem is when i try to
> execute the command: shutdown -p now, the error
> message that i received is:
>
> POWER SYSTEM off using, ACPI.. ACPI POWER-OFF
> failed-timeout the operating system halted. press any
> key to reboot

I had exactly the same error message. Then I moved the HD to
another box using the same motherboard and CPU chip, and the
error message went away.
I compared the BIOS setup for the two, adjusted the APM setup for
the first box, moved the HD back and it would shut down without
any protest.
Try play around with the BIOS and see!

> as you can see, the problem is with the ACPI POWER,
> but i did enable ACPI in cmos, i have no problem
> shutting off the system running 4.7 and 4.8, is this
> because, i forgot to add some entry in my customed
> kernel to support the autoshutdown, like in 4.8 i just
> enable APM in the kernel:
Exactly my experience too!

> # Power management support (see LINT for more options)
> device          apm0    at nexus? disable flags 0x20 #
> Advanced Power Management
>
> but here in 5.1-RELEASE, what should i add in the
> kernel?
None required. GENERIC will do fine.

GL from Kjell