Date:      11 Feb 1999 09:25:56 +0200
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@clinet.fi>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-19990202-SNAP a.out problem

Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com> writes:
> On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Mike Holling wrote:

> > I suspect that this decision will be reversed, or a huge majority of the
> > -stable crowd will stick with 2.2.8 forever.  It's pretty unlikely that
> > everything can be recompiled for ELF that quickly.

> That quickly? There has been considerable (6 month?) warning.

> - bill fumerola - billf@chc-chimes.com - BF1560 - computer horizons corp -
> - ph:(800) 252-2421 - bfumerol@computerhorizons.com - billf@FreeBSD.org  -

As far as I understood there will always be compatibility, so I do not
really mind, if it not too complicated to handle.  The advantage in going
to ELF like everyone else seems to do allows using up-to-date binaries
tools, so that is a big improvement.

Sidenote; we have been running FreeBSD for quite a while, so I quickly did
some counting on our /usr/local/bin to see how much I would appreciate
keeping backwards compatibility around.

We have total of 1150 links in /usr/local/bin.  Some of those are symlinks,
but I do not think that makes that much difference.

Out of that we have the following distribution by year:

Year	Files	   %
1998	 275	 23.91 (includes 1999)
1997	 363	 31.56
1996	 191	 16.60
1995	 255	 22.17
1994	  61	  5.30
1993	   5	  0.43
----------------------
total	1150	100.00

1993 binaries are known by file to be NetBSD binaries.  I think we started
by using early NetBSD and switched over to 1.1.x somewhere around
1993-1994.

>From the oldest binaries I think some are such that there is no more
sources available, it does not compile any more or new version now requires
something we do not have like motif.  I guess we can cope without things
like "mosaic.2.0", so that probably would not be that much an issue.  These
binaries originate from several different hundred packages, so digging up
all necessary source code the recompile them would be a quite an effort, as
some older packages usually have tendency no to compile any more.  Ports
does not help too much as many ports seem to change defaults, which forces
us to manually compile everything anyway and use ports as reference only.

--
Heikki Suonsivu / Clinet Oy / Tekniikantie 12 / FI-02150 Espoo / FINLAND,
hsu@clinet.fi mobile +358-40-5519679 work +358-9-43542270 fax -4555276