Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2006 14:07:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      john@utzweb.net
To:        deischen@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fn keys on Dell E1405

> Greetings and salutations,
>
> Is there anything I can do to get Fn key functionality on
> my Dell E1405 notebook?

port the nice linux i8ktools to freebsd before i do :-)

i started last weekend (i only have hxring time on the weekends) and i am
sure that i will eventually finish it successfully if somebody else doesnt
do it first.

i dont know if it will look much like the linux version when i am
finished, it makes use of the proc filesystem.

we do have a proc filesystem that we can kldload, but i am not sure how
robust it is and i dont want to be requiring an additional kld if my code
would be the only one using it.

it also uses a kernel timer to manage checking the keystrokes, i am not
sure if i wanna do that, i'd rather limit the kernel part to be limited to
the creation of /dev/smm and let the rest of the stuff happen in a daemon,
but i havent gotten far enuf along to have a coherent opinion ( i just
finally got the assembly code working to the point where i can get the
bios version back - banal, but critical :-) )

>  I've seen the patches for video
> switching and will try them at some point, but it's not
> as important to me as getting suspend/resume and wireless
> radio on/off.  Also getting the CD/DVD drive to eject would
> be nice.
>
> I'm using the latest and greatest BIOS on this system, and
> the output of 'acpidump -dt' is at:
>
>    http://people.freebsd.org/~deischen/e1405.acpi.dump
>
> FYI, I can get the system to suspend by hitting the power
> button or by Fn+Esc (standby), but it will not wakeup
> no matter what I do.

not wake up or not restore the display? can you ping it?

>  Also, the wireless radio (Fn+F2)
> will turn the radio off, but will not toggle it back
> on.

that's odd, i would have expected it to not work period.

>  Fn+F8 (CRT/LCD) does not work (will try those
> patches) and Fn+F10 (eject CD/DVD), Fn+PageUp (vol
> up), Fn+PageDown (vol down), Fn+End (mute), also
> do not work.

i8k !