Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 07:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Johan Karlsson <k@numeri.campus.luth.se>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/11648: gettext-0.10.35 fails in make install

The following reply was made to PR ports/11648; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Johan Karlsson <k@numeri.campus.luth.se>
To: Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 16:42:46 +0000

 At Tue, 11 May 1999 16:30:20 +0200, Jeremy Lea wrote:
 >Hi,
 >
 >On Tue, May 11, 1999 at 03:31:12PM +0000, Johan Karlsson wrote:
 >> >Synopsis:       gettext-0.10.35 fails in make install
 >>
 >> 	make install of ports/devel/gettext fails when
 >> 	generating package list.
 >>
 >> 	numeri# make install
 >> 	===>  Installing for gettext-0.10.35
 >> 	===>   Generating temporary packing list
 >> 	install-info: Undefined error: 0 for /usr/local/info/dir
 >> 	*** Error code 1
 >
 >This is only hitting you, since it builds fine in
 >http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/.  Firstly, do you have a file named
 >/usr/local/info/dir? and do you have a file named /usr/share/info/dir?

 The first exist but:
 k@numeri ~ >ll /usr/local/info/dir
 -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  0 Dec 18 12:41 /usr/local/info/dir
 The second:
 k@numeri ~ >ll /usr/share/info/dir
 -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  3180 May 10 20:55 /usr/share/info/dir

 >The second you should always have, the first should have been created by
 >a new feature in bsd.port.mk, before the pre-install target.  The port
 >also tries to make this file, as part of post-install.
 >
 >The only two places which 'install-info' occurs is in bsd.port.mk, as
 >part of the generate-plist target, but it should not be run there, since
 >it is put of a sed expression.  Then it occurs in the gettext Makefile,
 >where it installs the info file.  This is most likely where it is
 >failing.  Why is anyone's guess, but the first four lines of the
 >post-install target in gettext/Makefile are no longer needed.  Please
 >delete them and see if they fix your problem.

 Yes it does.

 I will delete /usr/local/info/dir and hopefully it will be created next time
 it is needed.

 I guess this PR can be closed since nobody else has this problem.

 Thanks for your help.

 /Johan Karlsson

 --
 Johan Karlsson		mailto:k@numeri.campus.luth.se