Date:      Fri, 04 Feb 2005 22:16:49 +0000
From:      Chris Hodgins <chodgins@cis.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
Cc:        vandrewlevich@momsandkids.org
Subject:   Re: favor

Erik Norgaard wrote:
> Chris Hodgins wrote:
>
>> IANAL but I think it would be interesting to know what the legal
>> implications are here.  Could it be a legal requirement that you can
>> request that your data is removed?
>

> Could it be a legal requirement that you can prove that you are actually
> the original poster and as the auther has (if any) the right to request
> the data removed? DNA test?

Google only requests that you use the same email address to have it
removed.  I think this is reasonable.  You can actually get it removed
without using the email address but I think that is a little harder.

> When I search for my name, I'm in competition with a wrestler - really
> anoying, in particular because his last results are from 2003, can I
> have him removed? of course not, nor would I try to.

No.  You could however request that your own pages/articles are removed
as you would be the legal copyright holder for those.....I think. ;)

> If you feel the first matches refer to irrelevant old posts, try posting
> something new and more interesting :-) get referals to your new cool web
> page, update it regularly, etc...
>
> I have now had the luck to wrestle my oponent to the next page - ha, all
> first 10 matches are mine :-)

I think the point the OP was trying to make is that he would not like
those posts to appear at all. :)

Chris