Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 15:55:11 -0400
From:      Richard Cownie <tich@ma.ikos.com>
To:        dg@root.com, David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4GB dram

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, David Greenman wrote:
> >I still can't get a machine with 4GB dram to work.  When was the last
> >time anyone succeeded in running -CURRENT on a machine with 4GB dram ?
> >This was working for me with 19990421-CURRENT, it doesn't work in
> >19990604-CURRENT.  Since support for 4GB dram is the only reason
> >I'm running -CURRENT rather than -STABLE, I would really like to know
> >when this might get fixed.
>
>    You need to provide more information - specifically, what happens when you
> try?
>
> -DG

boot: kernel.4G -v
Too many holes in the physical address space, giving up
Copyright (c) ....
Copyright (c) ....

As I've noted earlier, the getmemsize() code doesn't appear very safe
w.r.t. 4GB limits.  I tried rewriting to simplify this code and avoid
these problems - with the rewritten version I got further, but then
had a different crash later (but that could be due to a bug in my
rewrite).

It's desperately painful to debug this, because as far as I know the
only way to get any kernel to boot is to power down the machine, physically
unplug one of the dimms, power up again, install new kernel, power down,
plug the dimm back in ...  If I could fit the kernel on a floppy the
debugging cycle would be much quicker, but it seems too big for that.

Since the debugging is so painful, I would really like to find the latest
version that worked with 4GB, so that I can eyeball a minimal set of source
code changes.

Richard Cownie (tich@ma.ikos.com)