Date:      Wed, 08 May 2002 17:20:34 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>
To:        Coleman Kane <cokane@one.net>
Cc:        Joerg Micheel <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, Michael Smith <msmith@mass.dis.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: It's not fun anymore. (Mike resigns from core)

> Anyway, I don't really believe the whole 'FreeBSD is dead' crap that
> has been circulating, with the quickly growing user base and the
> increase in developer support this is a setback for the group, but
> it will live on, at least as long as there is a significant
> community backing it up. When we all vote for Core this time, it
> will be for a new set of representatives for the group. Perhaps this
> time it will bring together new faces and ideas for the future of
> the project.

I'm quite glad to hear you say that, frankly.  I think that if FreeBSD
is to succeed in the much longer-term, it needs to transcend its "old
guard" beginnings and transition to being governed by a new and
entirely more youthful set of folks, it perhaps being a maxim for the
future that if you've been in core before then you don't qualify, no
hard feelings or offense meant.

Of course, I also expect the old guard to fight this tooth and nail
with lots of dire predictions as to what will happen if anyone under
30 gets into core or why only a long and hoary track-record truly
qualifies one for the job.  As an old guardsman myself, I say ``bah!''
to that sort of self-serving "logic" since we've already proven over
the last two rounds that experienced people are more than capable of
making mistakes or being blind to all the relevant signs and portents
when things are going off the rails.  Even if it came with a penalty
of inexperience and beginner's mistakes, I wouldn't mind the fresh
energy and enthusiasm that a totally new slate would bring.  It's not
like those of us in 1992 were entirely blessed with loads of
experience at doing this when we started and look what we managed to
create.

- Jordan