Date:      Sun, 8 Oct 2000 17:23:24 -0500
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        Richard Johnson <raj@cisco.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with "an" driver - please help!

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 04:35:28PM -0700, Richard Johnson wrote:
> Strangely, the yellow light on the card is on until pccardd finds it
> and the MAC address is printed.  At that point the yellow light goes
> off and doesn't come back on until I ifconfig an0 with an IP address.

This is normal, except there is no need for an IP address.  `ifconfig
an0 up' will get it on the air.

> Once I do the configuration above, I can run "tcpdump -n -i an0" and
> see packets arriving.

Running `tcpdump' wedges this driver!  Once you've put the device into
promiscuous mode, the card will no longer transmit.  Doug Ambrisko
<ambrisko@whistle.com> has patches that fix this.
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org