Date:      Sun, 19 May 2002 14:00:04 +0000
From:      "J. Mallett" <jmallett@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely5.cicely.de>
Cc:        "J. Mallett" <jmallett@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make(1) patch to ReadMakefile() to use realpath(3)

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 03:21:59PM +0200, Bernd Walter wrote:
> Why do people think that a realpath is always available?

Because the manual page doesn't say it isn't.

> What is wrong with just extending using pwd?

That won't handle . and .. and relative paths spanning symbolic links, which
you may or may not want to see in the output, etc.

> And maybe optionally stripping .. and . elements if wanted.

The ODE make(1) as seen in CMU buildtools4 did this by hand, there's no reason
we couldn't either, except someone would likely come along and use realpath(3)
in place of it at a later date.  That's what I did to ODE.

> At least pwd doesn't break amd(8) pathnames.

How does realpath _break_ amd(8) pathnames?  I'm not very familiar with any
functionality that would cause this.  If realpath(3) gets broken, that sounds
like we either need some new conditions in realpath(3), or we need to fix
amd(8) paths.

> It became nearly impossible to use amd(8) today just because of all that
> realpath introduced breakage.

To what end?  More information is helpful.

Thanks.
--
jmallett@FreeBSD.org   | C, MIPS, POSIX, UNIX, BSD, IRC Geek.
http://www.FreeBSD.org | The Power to Serve