Date:      10 Feb 2002 18:33:29 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        "Jakob Borg" <jakob@borg.pp.se>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: docs/34758: Irrelevant comment in killall(1) manpage

Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:

> Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 02:36:20 +0200 (EET)
>
>  Jakob Borg wrote:
>
>  > The manpage for killall(1) says:
>  >
>  >        Be warned that  typing  killall  name  may  not  have  the
>  >        desired  effect on non-Linux systems, especially when done
>  >        by a privileged user.
>  >
>  > which, while perhaps correct, is not relevant for a FreeBSD system. Also,
>  > the operating system kernel in use at a particular system should not influence
>  > the behavior of killall.
>
>  Well the point the author is trying to make is that on Solaris (and
>  probably other systems) typing "killall" in a prompt is a surprise in
>  itself, because it REBOOTS the system !!!

1) The PR says it's on "FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE i386", but
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=killall&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+4.5-STABLE&format=html
doesn't have the text quoted.  (I was wanting to look at a different
display format.)  Is there a problem with with the CGI thing or with
the PR or me?

2) I thought that the warning was about "typing killall <program name>",
not "killall", but I guess I could read it as "typing the 'killall'
name", like Giorgos apparently did.

3) It seems that the quoted manpage implies that the program might
not work correctly on FreeBSD.  I think this is one time when I'd
agree with the man page minimalists, and say the quote shouldn't be
in the man page, not even after rewording it.