Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 20:07:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@dsuper.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Kris Kirby <kris@hiwaay.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Acceptable MBUF levels?

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Doug White wrote:

>When people refer to mbufs, they refer to mbuf clusters, of which there's
>a fixed number.  The kernel will allocate more mbufs as necessary.

	Uhm, actually, mbufs are also allocated from mb_map. Thus, they are
  also capped. (Unless I'm missing something big again... :-) )

>The usual rule of thumb is that the peak should never exceed 75% of the
>max mbufs in the system to allow for sufficient overhead in extreme
>situations.  In this case you're at 80%, so you should probably recompile
>your kernel and bump maxusers.

	Actually, for mbufs and mbuf clusters, you should increase
  NMBCLUSTERS, which will serve as an indication of allocate-able clusters
  as well as, ultimately, mbufs.

--
 Bosko Milekic
 Email:  bmilekic@dsuper.net