Date:      Sun, 12 May 2002 20:45:53 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Special fx with disklabel(8)?

In message <3CDEB5E6.17F4509B@mindspring.com>, Terry Lambert writes:

>DOS partition tables use a 24b C/H/S value.  With 512B sectors, this
>means they are incapable of representing more than 8G of disk space.

Ahh, I love these time-warp emails from Terry.  [*]

This is the way the world looked circa 1990.

I doubt any normal person has any MBR records which hasn't valid
contents in the 32 bit sector count fields which have been part
of the MBR record from at least 1994, and probably earlier.

Please do not follow Terrys advice, unless and until you have
independent confirmation that his 10 year old knowledge is still
current.

Poul-Henning

[*] Not!