Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 1998 10:00:51 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Dogbert's Nephew" <englishk@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: S3 but no action

On Fri, 20 March 1998 at  9:05:40 -0500, Dogbert's Nephew wrote:

> Spike said:
>>
>>  Try using the S3 server, I think you have an S3 card.
>>
> I DO have  an S3 card so now I use the S3 server.
> Only prolem is there is nothing but a mouse pointer and a background when
> I run 'XF86_S3'. I can move the mouse around but clicking on the buttons
> does nothing and there are not windows open intially. Any one have a
> similar experience? If you need the details (files), let me know.

You need a window manager.  It's a long and involved business; you
could start by reading the man page for, say, fvwm2, which is in the
Ports Collection.  You will probably find it also useful to get a copy
of "The Complete FreeBSD", second edition
(http://www.cdrom.com/titles/os/bsdbook2.htm), which describes things
in some detail.

Greg