Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 2002 07:28:32 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GUI  question.

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 12:33:40AM -0500, Paul C. Boyle wrote:
> I just want to get an idea of what people are using for a desktop GUI.
> Myself I prefer KDE.
> I have had it since the beta came with SUSE 5.2.
> That was also my first crack at #nix's.

A lot of people do not use any kind of GUI. Depends on what kinds of
things you do of course. Despite attempts to put system managerial apps
into KDE etc I think they are all a waste of time. On the other hand I
use KDE when I want to do browsing, I have a whole bunch of links to
things I am interested in, or to reference material etc. The problem is
most of the browsers all suck one way or another; not one of them does
everything properly. I like Opera, but it is so buggy I look forward to
a stable version. Lynx in the console is ok for pure text and from sites
who try to use "proper" html in their pages.

I don't like any of the X11 mail applications, so I use Mutt, which is a
brilliant piece of work. I don't read newsgroups much, but when I do I
use knode, since there is no really nice console news app (well slrn
maybe, but it's over-rated). I write documents using Star Office.

But the rest of the time I am in the console(s).

> Do you use FreeBSD as a desktop workstation or do you still clean windows.
> Does FreeBSD do everything you need for a workstation?

Well, you can't run Outlook :)

> Personaly I think KDE is elegant.

Elegant to look at, jeez it is a nightmare behind the scenes, and is
still riddled with bugs.

> I see in the news that IBM is supporting LInux and maybe HP is as well.

Linux will/is going corporate. It is the story of Unix all over again.
No commonality in the management/support area. Look along the shelves of
books in your bookstore, there are books on Redhat Linux, on SuSE linux,
on Debian Linux....just as their are books on HP Unix, on Solaris
Sunos..etc.

> Why do you suppose they overlooked FreeBSD.

Because FreeBSD is controlled by a bunch of 60's burnouts living in
caravans and feeding chickens. Probably all vegetarian communists as
well... :)

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson -- <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>