Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 16:02:13 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why is Python slower on FreeBSD than Windows?/Terry is a genius:)

"Gary W. Swearingen" wrote:
> Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
> > Doug White wrote:
> > >
> > > Good luck. The Vaios are infamous for having bad ACPI implementations.
> >
> > Works in Windows: Not a VAIO problem, it's a FreeBSD
> > problem.
> >
> > Unless you are saying Windows Programmers are better
> > than FreeBSD programmers?
>
> I think I get the point, but I'll bite the troll anyway.
>
> Saying that it's a FreeBSD problem and not a VAIO problem is like saying
> that a dead battery is a driver's problem and not a car problem.  A
> dead battery IS a car problem and a non-standard (and closed) ACPI
> implementation in a VAIO IS a VAIO problem, unless we don't share a
> common language.

I thought there were people on the project who were allowed
to disassemble the Windows software in order to document
interfaces, legally, in their countries.  8-p.

I think a more apt analogy would be a car driver who could
or could not use a manual clutch.

> In cases like this the particular Windows programmers involved usually
> ARE better (at least a lot faster), because of their better access to
> VAIO designers and/or design documents than FreeBSD programmers.

I've made this offer before; I'll make it again: I will
*buy* a copy of V Communications "Sourcer", and mail it
off to someone who is willing to disassemble a Windows
driver for which there is no corresponding FreeBSD driver,
and document the interfaces, so long as they are in a
country where it is legal for them to do so, and they
are willing to either do more drivers or pass the software
on to another developer when they are done.

Know any German FreeBSD users with VAIOs or other systems
who are annoyed at something not working?

I'd be particularly interested in a German user who was
interested in getting VAIO Winmodems working, if you want
to play favorities over the VAIO.

-- Terry