Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 15:02:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        patrick@cre8tivegroup.com (Patrick Gardella)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: PPP and X ?!?

In a previous message, Patrick Gardella said:

> >Ok. Is your name server on the other side of your ppp connection?
>
> Yes.  Its on the ISP.

Ok.

One possibility is that startx is trying to resolve your DISPLAY
hostname. Do you set DISPLAY to :0 or `hostname`:0?

If you're doing `hostname`:0 then it maybe trying to ask your ISP's dns
server who host is, and dns doesn't know because it's just has your
ppp link hostname not the hostname you set your machine to. If
that's the case, then you want hosts before dns. And your hosts file
should contain only the minimum machines you talk to (like localhost
and your hostname (which maybe be both 127.0.0.1).

> >Probably not. X0.hosts sets what machines are allowed by default to
> >connect you your Xserver. This was what my problem was. It was trying to
> >resolve a bunch of machines in this file.
>
> Ah.  Nope.  Don't run an xserver.  So we can eliminate that!

Actually, yes you do. An X server is the background. xterm, afterstep,
xlockmore, etc are clients that connect to the X server.

--
I hear there's some exciting developments in rubber squeak toys! - The Tick