Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 22:47:23 +0900
From:      Taku YAMAMOTO <taku@cent.saitama-u.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Maestro-2e, driver idea.

Ira L Cooper wrote:
> 	I was reading the Maestro-2e specs, and I realized that by default
> the chip is not in "Legacy Audio" mode.  I.E. it doesn't support the
> soundblaster API.  But there is a flag you can set to make it do so.

Several months ago, I tried enabling it with no luck.
Although probing and attaching succeeded, when I played mp3, it
hungs.

More recently (about a half year ago), I had a chance to
read sample code written by ESS.
According to this, the chip needs some more complecated
initializations.

So I gave up driving it in legacy mode and decided to write
our own driver rather than these strange initializations.

>	Could someone give me the URL of the "mixer" driver for the maestro
> so I can try to patch this?  The only problem is that I don't have a maestro

My preliminary works for 3.x-stable lgsnd is available at:
    http://access.cent.saitama-u.ac.jp/~taku/freebsd/maestro/maestro-src-20000130.tar.gz

It can handle AC97 mixer but does nothing more. It even
doesn't initialize the chip in legacy mode at all.

OOPS, all docs are written in Japanese!
But I have no enough time to translate...

Just now I began to write codes for 4.x and -current newpcm.
It'll be able to deal at most 4 pcm streams simultaneously.
I don't know how long it takes but I'll do. (little by
little, though :-)
--
YAMAMOTO, Taku <taku@cent.saitama-u.ac.jp>
Member of Advanced Computer and Communication Studies Society