Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 21:20:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@freebsd.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gdb sucks - and I need to get around it.  help?

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Eivind Eklund wrote:

> Anybody know of any way of getting gdb to step from the start of the
> program?
>
> I have an executable with absolutely no symbol data (symbol data is
> absolutely non-available) which I *have* to get to step through, if
> necessary by re-implementing gdb.
>
> Eivind.

I have had pretty good luck debugging things right from the first line of
_rtld(). The trick is to run the program first and stop it (or let it
fault if that is what is happening). Then you can set a breakpoint
anywhere (before main, inside rtld or whatever) and it *should* hit the
breakpoint the next time you run it.

If it faults very early, gdb might not load rtld's symbol table but that
can be solved with some careful use of add-symbol-file (it doesn't sound
like you care about rtld though...)

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com