Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2001 22:24:06 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Rebuilding mail server

I'm doing some upgrades, and am looking for a way to migrate our
current main customer email pool (currently served with Cyrus using a
shadow password file, generated periodically from our internal MySQL
database). That was a hack... but at the time it was about all I could
do with our config. (I'm aware of the relatively new Cyrus-sasl MySQL
support, and that it requires passwords to be stored in plaintext. Bad
idea).

Anyways, on to the meat of the issue.. I'm grepping for solutions,
here... We've got a custom MySQL database with customer info, logins,
passwords, etc, that we auth several services against... Something
like 99.8% of our customers use POP for mail, so if we lose IMAP
support for our customers, they could care less, and we can still run
Cyrus on another box.

My requirements, in a nutshell, are for a POP email system that will
auth against a custom MySQL database (using MD5 passwords), that can
easily scale to a few thousand users. Something with an automated way
to add/remove mailboxes would be a major plus, as would per-user
mailbox quotas (but we can enforce our own quotas).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon