Date:      Sun, 05 Aug 2001 12:03:37 -0500
From:      "Douglas G. Allen" <dallen@roe35.lth2.k12.il.us>
To:        "FreeBSD Stable Listserv" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   arp doesn't like two NIC's in same subnet on same machine?

I have a machine running 4.3-RELEASE, with softupdates enabled.  I have two=
 Intel 100 Pro NIC's in the machine, an Adaptec controller card, and an 18G=
 Ultra160 drive in it (running at 80, if it makes any difference).  I have=
 the default route to the router set to always go out through fxp0.  When=
 both fxp0 and fxp1 are enabled, I get complaints from arp about inquiries=
 going out from fxp0 having answers received on fxp1.  Everything else=
 'seems' to be ok.  The box is running as a web server with each NIC=
 referenced for different sites in different DNS A records.

Is there an easy way to get rid of the arp message?  Do I need to make fxp0=
 a gateway for fxp1?  Do I need to install routed or gated on this box?  I=
 would really like to fix this without having to install routed or gated.

Another thing that may be related.  When I enabled firewall rules on the=
 box (ipfw, rc.firewall), nothing was reachable outside my own LAN.  I'm=
 going to risk looking silly, but it would seem to me that if I need to=
 make fxp0 a gateway for fxp1, then the firewall rules need to reference=
 only fxp0 (since presumably all traffic would route through it).  I'm=
 firewalling on the machine to give some redundancy, as the LAN is already=
 firewalled with a dedicated firewall.

Thanks in advance.

						Doug