Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 11:05:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        k.stevenson@louisville.edu (Keith Stevenson)
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sequential TCP port allocation?

[I can't help too much with the subject matter, but this might be
better suited to -security. I'm forwarding this there. However, one
comment below.]

Keith Stevenson wrote,
> We recently had an auditing firm run ISS against our network.  The only
> "vulnerability" detected on our production FreeBSD box was a problem with
> "Predictable Sequence Ports".  The description states that this FreeBSD box
> allocates its port numbers in sequential order.
>
> I've looked at several of my 2.2.8 boxes, and sure enough this appears to be
> true.  Is there a setting or sysctl knob that I can tweak to change the system
> to allocate ports in a more random manner?  If not, does 3.1-STABLE exhibit
> the same behavior?
>
> (Whether or not this qualifies as a real security vulnerability is irrelevant
> to me.  Since the auditors labeled this as a "security hole" I have to present
> some sort of response to my management.)

I think it does matter if it is a 'real' vulnerability, _especially_
when talking to management. If it is going to cost $$$ to fix the
problem or go with another solution, one must weigh risks against such
a cost. There is no such thing as security-at-all-costs (unless you
work for the NSA or sumthin'). If you truly want to be secure, do not
connect to the Internet, assign each user random passwords (but make
sure they don't write them down on Post-It Notes(tm) on the side of
the monitor), and put all of the machines in an accessed controlled
area with EM screening to keep in the Tempest radiation. Of course,
that's an outlandish example, but one must remember there are always
costs and benefits to be weighed.