Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 1995 23:11:08 +0200
From:      Torbjorn Granlund <tege@matematik.su.se>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        sef@cygnus.com
Subject:   DAT drive advice needed

Well, I bought a complete system where almost every component had some
problem, and I had to return both the SCSI controller and the Graphics card
to get properly working ones.  After all that headache, the system now works
great.  The combination Pentium90/Triton/QuantumGPS/FreeBSD 2.0.5- actually
makes the fastest system I have ever used!

It is time to get a DAT drive, and I'd like to avoid to get another lemon.

I'd like to get a high-quaility DAT drive, and I need to send tapes to
people and recieve tapes from people.  The HP drives vary in capacity a lot,
but the prices are within a few hundred dollars.  So, from that perspective,
I'd get the 16 Gb drive, for just $1000 at NCA.

But will FreeBSD and the drive be able to write tapes that most older DAT
drives will be able to read?  If not, what drives will allow me to ship
tapes to others?

Torbjorn