Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 12:47:33 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Thomas H. Ptacek" <tqbf@enteract.com>
To:        adam@homeport.org (Adam Shostack)
Cc:        dg@root.com, adrian@obiwan.aceonline.com.au, tqbf@enteract.com, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Privileged ports...

> for each low numbered port?  It seems that (modulo configuration being
> a little painful) this offers the best of both worlds--control over
> low numbered ports, but anyone can bind to a port with root's

Not only is inetd's configuration much longer, but if it dies (or, more
specifically, if an attacker can kill it), your system becomes completely
insecure. I think it's a bad idea to have security issues rely on the
survival of userland processes.

Am I wrong?

Thomas Ptacek at EnterAct, L.L.C., Chicago, IL [tqbf@enteract.com]
"If you're so special, why aren't you dead?"