Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2000 14:09:49 +0200
From:      "Daniel Forsgren" <forda@ite.mh.se>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Interconnecting LANs

Hello,

Does anyone have a tip on what the best solution for
interconnecting ethernet LANs with a generic tunnel would be?
I've got one LAN gw set up with all services at one location,
and would like to make an as-easy-as-possible bridging from
it to a number of home gateways over various internet links.

I'd like the tunnels to forward everything that's on the "main"
LAN (including IPv4 multicast and IPv6) and give the home
user a transparent link and a direct interface to the "main" LAN
Thus, the inner interface of a home gateway should work just
as if it was on the remote LAN, and be able to use its private
IP address space.

I don't know wether it is possible to actually make the bridging
on ethernet level in the tunnel ends (while the tunnel is running
over IP), I guess that would be the best solution in that case.
Is it possible to bind ethernet interfaces directly to the IP tunnel
ends?

Or will I have to set up the tunnel between the public IP addresses
of the external gateway interfaces and interconnect on IP level?
I guess that would mean each home LAN would need to be on its
own subnet, and that traffic would have to be routed between
the LANs, so that's not really the solution I'm looking for. An
ethernet-IP-ethernet bridging would save a lot of work, obviously.

All involved gateways runs/will run FBSD 4.1R btw.

Thanks in advance,

/Daniel F.