Date:      Sun, 26 Feb 2006 12:39:22 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: anyone recognize this panic?

On Sunday 26 February 2006 12:29, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 11:24:28AM -0800, Kent Stewart wrote:
> > > Unfortunately without a traceback the panic string is useless
> > > since it gives you no clue about how the system got into that
> > > state.  This kind of panic is often a secondary effect of some
> > > other problem.
> >
> > I can cause this to happen almost at will with a Netgear GA311. It
> > only happens at boot. It will reboot after the panic just fine and,
> > for me, it only happens repeatedly after I do a restart boot from
> > XP. It has never happened if I shut the system down first. I have
> > moved many GBs of distfiles and packages with out causing a panic.
> >
> > I haven't found a way to cause a dmp when it panics. At least, what
> > I have read doesn't work. So, how can I get a dmp, which I can
> > provide a traceback?
>
> What happens when you 'call doadump' from DDB?

I haven't be able to invoke the debugger at the boot panic and even
adding dumpdev to rc.comp doesn't produce a dump file. The /swap
and /var are large enough to dump memory.

I also haven't added DDB to the kernel config. I guess I need to first
get my Digital Rebel, so, I can keep a copy and see what is on the
screen when it panics.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart