Date:      Wed, 24 May 2017 23:02:51 +0200
From:      Sebastian Schwarz <seschwar@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dropping c6

On 2017-05-24, Piotr Kubaj via freebsd-emulation wrote:
> Seeing that no one even wants to look at my patch (I don't
> even dare to say anything about commiting it) is it feasible
> that we make c7 the default and drop c6?

One issues I'm aware of is that FreeBSD emulates the Linux
kernel only up to version 2.6.something whereas CentOS 7 is
built on 3.10.  Many programs which don't use the newer features
still work fine, but some -- I'm not sure how many and important
these are -- require the newer features.

> All the supported FreeBSD versions can use c7 and there's no
> reason to use c6.

Another issue is that RHEL 7 actually doesn't support i386.
CentOS 7's i386 packages are provided by their AltArch[1] SIG.
I'm not sure how closely they follow the x86_64 updates, both in
package coverage and release timing, and if this creates
problems in practice.

Having said that I'd prefer c7 to be the default as well,
if/once possible.

1. https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/AltArch/i386