Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 08:59:12 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.ORG
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au
Subject:   Re: moused conflicts with X11

> As sos@FreeBSD.org wrote:
>
> > Hmm, that could easily be arranged, I could easy make a minor# on
> > syscons send out mouse events, no problem in that end...
> > Do we want that ??
>
> Not _that_, but this. :-)
>
> Don't make it dependant on syscons.  It's some sort of a super-driver
> layered on top of either sio or mse or psm, but only losely related to
> the console driver itself.  You could actually even have a mouse but
> don't have a keyboard or graphics card, even though it would hardly
> make sense.

You have a point there, except I dont like the "superdriver" idea..
A generice mousedevice that does what syscons does now would be
just fine. The only problem I have with that is that the interface
between that driver and the console driver would be an ugly SOAB...
But if that's what it takes I'll rip out that part of syscons and
make it a pseudo driver instead.

>             Anyway, i'm (naturally :) more concerned about pcvt
> users.  We should avoid things that would require more console-driver
> dependant hacks in the Xserver.  (The Xserver would need hacks for
> both mouse scenarios anyway, for a reasonable transition time.)

I (naturally:)) dont care about pcvt problems with this, that
particular set of problems would never arise if we had _one_
consoledriver, but thats history. There is no easy solution
to that I guess.

However I dont see that the Xserver should be changed, as they will
see /dev/mouse as a say mousesystems mouse, no matter what mouse
actually is on the system. That would also ease the X installation
for J. Randomuser. And besides I dont see the need for Yet Another
Mouse Interface (YAMI), when we can just use one of the de facto
standards. We also would have a BIG problem with commercial progs
that way, so lets not get that insane...

Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time.