Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 1998 00:48:08 -0500
From:      Matthew Hagerty <wpub1@net-link.net>
To:        cs-tom@nich-nsunet.nich.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is there credit card validation software for FreeBSD?

You should look at:

http://www.cybercash.com

I'm not sure if they have a FreeBSD version yet, but you may be able to get
the BSDI version to run on FreeBSD.  The software is called SMPS.  SMPS is
just the server that runs on your system and communicates with CyberCash's
server to check and authorize credit card transactions via the web.  Takes
about 3 to 5 seconds to do a transaction.  Realize that this is an actual
credit card authentication, not a checksum check.  If the credit card is
invalid or does not have the funds available, it will return failure.

You will also need an account with a bank or credit card processing company
that will work with CyberCash or whatever gateway service you find, but
usually you should try to use a processor that is already doing business
with the gateway service.  You see, CyberCash only provides an Internet
gateway to a card processor.

Hope this helps.

Matthew