Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 1997 12:44:24 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   learn(1)?

I wonder what's the deal with <subject>.  There has been a question in
Usenet, and even somebody who would like to contribute texts for it.
So well, i went out to see how the original learn(1) looked like, and
our old AIX 3.2.5 actually still had it.  Much to my surprise, the
data files are:

#
#  COMPONENT_NAME: (CMDMAN) commands that allow users to read online
#                  documentation
#
#  FUNCTIONS:
#
#  ORIGINS: 27
#
#  Copyright (c) 1980 Regents of the University of California.
#  All rights reserved.  The Berkeley software License Agreement
#  specifies the terms and conditions for redistribution.
#

#next
0.01a 10

So now i wonder whether we would legally be allowed to use these files
directly?  I can't find any traces on FTP servers, the closest was a
tree of 4.3-Reno somewhere in .uk land but with empty directories for
learn.  Does anybody know whom to approach to inquire about the actual
status?  I think learn(1) has never been part of any AT&T Unix, so
they should not claim any rights on it either.

--
cheers, J"org