Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:54:44 -0600
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Does freebsd work well on Dell Platforms?

	We plan to replace 3 Suns with high-end freebsd systems
and the University has a contract with Dell.

	Since wee can probably get the best deal on these
systems and since they seem to be generally very good, I am
asking as to whether there are any problems with running freebsd
on new high-end Dells?

	I know I have had fair to very good luck getting Linux to
work on Dell 266-MHZ dimensions so I know some platforms are
fussier than others.  One system with a SCSI bus is basically
okay but with no sound yet.  Another similar system with no SCSI
bus is fine but seems to take a long time to boot.  At least its
sound works.

	I realize that freebsd is not Linux, but I imagine it
likes some systems better than others.

	What are the thoughts of the masses?

Martin McCormick 405 744-7572   Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information services Data Communications Group