Date:      Sat, 27 Jul 2013 16:20:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Michael Tratz <michael@esosoft.com>
Cc:        Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS deadlock on 9.2-Beta1

Michael Tratz wrote:

> [...]
> >> the problem. Maybe someone has an idea what could be wrong and I
> >> can
> >> test a patch or if it's something else, because I'm not a kernel
> >> expert. :-)
> >>
> > Well, the only NFS client change committed between r252025 and
> > r253506
> > is r253124. It fixes a file corruption problem caused by a previous
> > commit that delayed the vnode_pager_setsize() call until after the
> > nfs node mutex lock was unlocked.
> >
> > If you can test with only r253124 reverted to see if that gets rid
> > of
> > the hangs, it would be useful, although from the procstats, I doubt
> > it.
> >
> >> I have run several procstat -kk on the processes including the ls
> >> which deadlocked. You can see them here:
> >>
> >> http://pastebin.com/1RPnFT6r
> >
> > All the processes you show seem to be stuck waiting for a vnode
> > lock
> > or in __utmx_op_wait. (I`m not sure what the latter means.)
> >
> > What is missing is what processes are holding the vnode locks and
> > what they are stuck on.
> >
> > A starting point might be ``ps axhl``, to see what all the threads
> > are doing (particularily the WCHAN for them all). If you can drop
> > into
> > the debugger when the NFS mounts are hung and do a ```show
> > alllocks``
> > that could help. See:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug-deadlocks.html
> >
> > I`ll admit I`d be surprised if r253124 caused this, but who knows.
> >
> > If there have been changes to your network device driver between
> > r252025 and r253506, I`d try reverting those. (If an RPC gets stuck
> > waiting for a reply while holding a vnode lock, that would do it.)
> >
> > Good luck with it and maybe someone else can think of a commit
> > between r252025 and r253506 that could cause vnode locking or
> > network
> > problems.
> >
> > rick
> >

> >> I have tried to mount the file system with and without nolockd. It
> >> didn't make a difference. Other than that it is mounted with:
> >>
> >> rw,nfsv3,tcp,noatime,rsize=32768,wsize=32768
> >>
> >> Let me know if you need me to do something else or if some other
> >> output is required. I would have to go back to the problem kernel
> >> and wait until the deadlock occurs to get that information.
> >>

> Thanks Rick and Steven for your quick replies.
>
> I spoke too soon regarding r252025 fixing the problem. The same issue
> started to show up after about 1 day and a few hours of uptime.
>
> "ps axhl" shows all those stuck processes in newnfs
>
> I recompiled the GENERIC kernel for Beta1 with the debugging options:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug-deadlocks.html
>
> ps and debugging output:
>
> http://pastebin.com/1v482Dfw
>
> (I only listed processes matching newnfs, if you need the whole list,

Is your "show alllocks" complete? If not, a complete list of locks
would definitely help. As for "ps axhl", a complete list of processes/threads
might be useful, but not as much, I think.

> The first PID showing up having that problem is 14001. Certainly the
> "show alllocks" command shows interesting information for that PID.
> I looked through the commit history for those files mentioned in the
> output to see if there is something obvious to me. But I don't know.
> :-)
> I hope that information helps you to dig deeper into the issue what
> might be causing those deadlocks.

Well, pid 14001 is interesting in that it holds both the sleep lock
acquired by sblock() and an NFS vnode lock, but is waiting for another
NFS vnode lock, if I read the pastebin stuff correctly.

I suspect that this process is somewhere in kern_sendfile(), since that
seems to be where sblock() gets called before vn_lock().

It's just a "shot in the dark", but if you can revert
r250907 (dated May 22), it might be worth a try. It adds a bunch of
stuff to kern_sendfile(), including vn_lock() calls and the date sounds
about right.

rick
ps: I've added kib@ to the cc list, in case he can help with this. He
    appears to have been involved in the commits MFC'd by r250907.

> I did include the pciconf -lv, because you mentioned network device
> drivers. It's Intel igb. The same hardware is running a kernel from
> January 19th, 2013 also as an NFS client. That machine is rock
> solid. No problems at all.

Ok, so it sounds like we are looking for a post-January 19 commit.

> I also went to r251611. That's before r251641 (The NFS FHA changes).
The FHA changes are server related and my understanding is that the
problem is showing up in an NFS client.