Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 1996 20:29:11 -0700
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
To:        "Aaron D. Gifford" <agifford@infowest.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PONY UP! (was: The -stable problem: my view)

First: we have a very wide distribution on this subject, please don't
quote the entire message, and watch that CC line please !

>Questions first: If someone DID want to contribute money, how would this be
>done?  To what organization would the money be sent?  FreeBSD, Inc?  Is
>FreeBSD Inc, a non-profit organization?

So far we havn't pushed the fund-raising very hard, as can be seen from the
fact that I had to actually grep the handbook to find the right place, and
that Jordan just updated the address to match current reality.

We havn't got enough money to make it worth the effort to make it a tax
exempt org of any kind, and likewise there are no or few procedures in
place to control our usage of the money.  Basically we say, "trust us".

(The fact that most of you run code we write on your computers indicates
to me that you already trust us quite a lot, thanks! :-)

Until the cash-flow warrants such procedures we'd rather spend our time
hacking code if you understand me, so I hope this rather loose arrangement
is OK with our donors.

I don't think there is anything preventing us from putting the actual
accounts up on the web, but I don't even think we have used any money
yet, all we have is about USD1000 or so I think, not really enough for
the stuff we want to do.  Likewise if a major donation is ear-marked
I'm sure we'll be able to account for it's proper use to the donor.

FreeBSD Inc is a corporation registered by a number of members of the
FreeBSD core-team, and we use that as the official framework for the
money stuff at this time.

If at some time there is a business case for a non-profit org, we will
probably make one, but at this time the paperwork would be too prohibitive.

If there are donors out there in the world who think that sending money
to U.S.A is a terrible thing or just too much hazzle, contact a core-member
in your end of the world, we can probably arrange something.

Thanks for the ideas!

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.