Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:43:53 -0800
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: authenticating users between websites

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 02:40:42PM -0500, Dan Langille wrote:
> I'm getting this request often and I'm not sure how to solve it.  A
> client will have two websites and wants users to be able to browse
> freely between the websites after having logged into the primary
> website.
>
> For example, I browse to a.example.org, log in, and continue
> browsing.  Then I browse over to b.example.org.... How can I be
> automagically be authenticated on that other website?
>
> cheers
> --
> Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
> BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference - http://www.bsdcan.org/

If both sites are part of the same, you can set a cookie based on
the domain. That is how sites usual do it. If you are concerned about
someone modifying the cookie local on the client side, keep also some
information about the cookie in a database which can be accessed by
both sites.

--
Regards, Ulf.

Ulf Zimmermann, 1525 Pacific Ave., Alameda, CA-94501, #: 510-865-0204
You can find my resume at: http://seven.Alameda.net/~ulf/resume.html