Date:      Sun, 21 Aug 2011 01:42:46 -0400
From:      Chris Brennan <xaero@xaerolimit.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS and NFS or CIFS

--------------enig18F7445527CCFEB3A5D1B484

--------------020203000102080107060407

On 8/19/2011 4:05 PM, Henry M wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>=20
> If you are transferring data from a Windows machine, your best bet woul=
> be to use SAMBA. Windows communicates with samba pretty easily. You
> essentially just mount a network drive, and transfer the files you want=
=2E
>=20
> Here are a few links to get you started:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/network-samba.html
> http://www.freebsddiary.org/samba.php
>=20
> The samba configs are pretty straight forward, you just need to make
> permissions are correct.
>=20
> Good luck!
>=20
> Regards,
> Henry

Henry,

I'm very familiar with Samba as a standalone appliance, have been using
it for quite some time. But that wasn't what I wanted to do. It's my
understand that ZFS can export to both ZFS *and* CIFS/SMB, I'd like to
know how to actually do (maybe utilize is the correct term instead of
use) that. If it were as easy as just installing Samba from Ports or
Packages, then I would have done so already, but I am trying to teach
myself how ZFS can be useful in my environments and not limit myself or
taking the long way around.

But thank you regardless, if it turns out, I can't accomplish my goal
(of utilizing NFS and/or CIFS/SMB from within ZFS) then I will go the
tried and true and very traditional route of install Samba.

--=20