Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 19:36:46 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        eculp@encontacto.net
Cc:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>, "current@freebsd.org" <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Linux emulation busted

eculp@encontacto.net wrote:
> Mensaje citado por "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>:
> | I had a working Linux world on my laptop.  I upgraded my kernel and
> | acroread4 stopped working.  Now all I get is:
> |
> | Exited with error code: 0x400e0009.
> |
> | after a whole lot of disk access when I try to run it.  This worked on
> | a December kernel for sure.  I'm pretty sure it was working as late as
> | a January 15th kernel.  It hasn't worked on a March 1st and subsequent
> | kernels.  I'm not sure where it broke inbetween.  Has anybody else
> | seen this?
>
> Both acroread4 and 5 work for me with Mar 21 and Mar 18 kernels with today's
> world.  Acroread5 works on another machine with a Mar 10 kernel and today's
> world don't seem to have 4 here.

Wasn't this a symptom of the recent change, which causes the
Linux kernel modules to become out of date with the kernel,
if you just expect "make" to work like it should?

Specifically, you are probably running without the modules,
or with old versions of the modules.

There was a long discussion on (I believe) this list, about
two weeks ago.

I don't know why the change was made (and I don't like it,
either).

-- Terry